Mar 3, 2013

Dreams of Country Living


When I dream of country living, I dream of getting back to basics. I dream of open spaces, of spending time outside, of using my hands to make and do things for my family, and of teaching my kids to use their hands too. 



I have goals and lists of things I want to do and learn. 

I want learn to grow a garden, it doesn't have to be big, but I want to grow some of our food.  I grew a few herbs in pots this summer and it was wonderful.


I want my kids to spend time outside.  I want it to be a part of every day, just a part of what we do.  I want exploring the outdoor world to be a regular part of our life and of their childhood.



I have already started making our own bread.  And adding the no-knead bread, the damper bread and the soda bread to the regular bread has made it quick and easy to do that.



I really, really want to learn how to make homemade soap.  I would love to be able to make some different kinds, even to make some for gifts.

I want to increase the size of my stored food.  I want to fill my freezer, and to learn to use my water bath canner to start canning food for future use.  I recently bought one, but I haven't learned how to use it yet.  I also want to start drying and dehydrating foods to preserve them.

I would LOVE to get a few chickens and rabbits.  I would like to start eating our own fresh eggs.  But I know that may not be possible. 

I want to use my dryer less and hang dry my clothes.  I did this all summer last year and I do love the smell of line-dried clothes.  (although, I need to find a way to make them dry softer.)



I want to sew more.  I would love to make cloth diapers for Little Prince.  I would love to make curtains and things for our home and maybe even branch out to dresses for the girls.

I want to get to know the local farmers.  I would love to buy things from them directly.  I would love for the kids to know where food comes from.  I would love them to see real farms and real farm animals.




I joined in on a Barn Hop this week.

3 comments:

Julie said...

We share quite a few goals! I would love to garden though I don't know how as well as canning. :)

Texas Homesteader said...

These are all great goals and are all attainable. Just take one step at a time. Pick something you can do today and start there. Once you've mastered it, decide if it works for your family and either keep it up or drop it and go to the next goal. As long as you don't start feeling overwhelmed with too much at one time I think you'll find that you enjoy these things and that they add to your joy of providing quality for your family! Thanks so much for sharing this post. (visiting from Homestead Barn Hop)

~Taylor-Made Ranch~
Wolfe City, Texas
www.taylormaderanch.com/blog

Julie said...

I wouldn't mind living in the country... But that would be TOO country for me. *lol*

http://multipleblessings.wordpress.com/

Twitter