Dec 18, 2012

Christmas Chat and Family Favorite Recipes

So how is your Christmas preparations going?  Are you almost ready?  I am doing good.  I am going out tomorrow to get presents for the little ones from Great Grandma and their Godmother.  They live far away and so cash and shopping from mommy is easier for them.  I have all the food for Christmas dinner in the pantry.  All I have to do is that little bit of shopping and wrap ALL those gifts.  I am feeling good.  I have lots of Christmas cheer this year.  The season has treated us well so far and I am looking forward to the excitement of Christmas with so many little ones.  I am just as excited as they are, the anticipation is wonderful. 

One thing that Prince Charming loves to include in his Christmas dinner is a pudding we just call His Pudding (although in doing research I actually think it is a version of a traditional Newfoundland Figgy Duff).  He loves it and a Christmas Dinner isn't complete without it.  A couple of  years ago, my best friend asked that we make her pudding to include in our dinner.  It is a little similar to Prince Charming's but it is definitely different and YUMMY too.  There is also a potato pudding that I have yet to try to make.  My late grandmother made it for us whenever we had a Newfie Jig's dinner at her place and it is a family favorite.  Whenever I think of dinner at her house, I think of the Potato pudding.  I only have a rough recipe for this one, and if I make it I will verify it exactly, but I will share here the recipe that I have.   Honestly, as I type out these recipes, I am getting a little misty, there are just so many good memories associated with these.  Here are the recipes:

Prince Charming's Pudding
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup water

Combine all the above ingredients together. 

Add the following:
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 cups flour
  • Approx 1/2 - 1 cup Raisins (personal preference)

Microwave on high for 12 minutes. (Although we don't do it, this can be boiled in a bag in the pot with the veggies from a Newfoundland Jigg's Dinner)


Notsosnowwhite's Carrot Pudding

1/2 cup of melted butter
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of potatoes
1 cup of carrots raw and grated
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp of baking soda
a pinch of salt
1 cup of raisins

Mix butter and sugar together.
Mix potatoes and carrots with sugar and butter.
In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) together.
Add dry ingredients to carrot mixture and then add the raisins. 

I put mine in the microwave on high until it was cooked (like the pudding above) but you can cook in the oven, just make sure you put it in something big enough because it will rise as it cooks.




Nan's Potato Pudding
  • 6 or so leftover potatoes (you can boil them if you don't have any leftover)
  • Flour approx 1 cup flour, as needed. 
  • butter/margarine


Mash potatoes with flour until potato binds together
Grease cookie sheet and spread potato out. Nan used her hand to spread it out.
Spread butter/margarine over top and bake until golden brown.

Enjoy!

This is for Notsosnowwhite, Prince Charming, and Nan.  I LOVE you all and I wish that we could all be together once again.  

No comments:

Twitter