Feb 22, 2011

Random Tuesday Tidbits


I am sick today. Too many days in a row cuddling sick kids has caught up with me and now I am sick too. I am trying to carry on with all my plans. We will see how it goes. I have gotten homeschool, lunch and a load of laundry done, but I still have to do our baking and cleaning up for today. I am just sooo tired. I have no time for getting sick . . . can't I just schedule this in for next summer some time??

I figured I would share my thoughts on the bread we made yesterday. It wasn't bad. It wasn't as good as the bread I used to make. I would actually let it rise some more for my taste and I think it needed a little something extra. So, I am moving on to my next recipe in a couple of days. The kids liked it and had it as grilled cheese today for lunch.

This morning little Princess Magpie was very sweet. When her baby sister, Princess Snifflefritz was crying, she hurried over reassuring her and even sharing beloved Fuzzy that she sleeps with to try to help her stop crying. I guess she figured that her Fuzzy always makes her stop crying so she would try with her sister. Too sweet!!

Princess Magpie also joined in with circle time this morning. She had fun with the singing and activities. We have one song that goes (Tune of If your Happy and you know it),

Parent sings: Good Morning , CHILDS NAME, how are you?
Child sings: I'm Fine
Parent sings: Good Morning , CHILDS NAME, how are you?
Child sings: I'm Fine
Parent sings: How are you this special day? I'm so glad you came to play. Good Morning , CHILDS NAME, how are you?
Child sings: I'm Fine

Well, we sang it to her and she did her parts just like her big sister. She loved it. I am glad that I decided to start our days with circle time as it really does start us off with a smile and a good attitude.

Every day, we also sing the days of the weeks and the months of the year, go over a calendar and a song that includes spelling out all our names. This has been great for Princess Belle who has had a hard time remembering and understanding these concepts.

Prince Charming found this Youtube clip of Bon Jovi doing a cover of "Sylvia's Mother". I LOVE Bon Jovi, I always have. And I love this song. This rendition putting them both together is just wonderful!



Here are the two kinds of biscuits we are making today:

Coconut Biscuits

Servings: 18

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine milk and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in coconut. Drop by 2 tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 425 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Fluffy Biscuits

Servings: 12

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2/3 cup milk

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

2. Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Justme said...

I love that little song you sing with your children! That's so sweet :)

I hope you feel better soon!

Julie said...

Hope you feel better soon! It's not easy being sick when you have little ones, as I well remember. It's easier for me now, because the boys do SO MUCH for me, when I am sick. They are super helpers. :)

http://scrapgrrl.com/

Twitter