Jun 29, 2010

Dear You Know Who You Are:


Since you neither of you are doctors, or even have a University degree, you will forgive me if I believe my doctor before I believe you. Since I live with my daughter, you will forgive me if I assume I know more about my daughter than you do. Despite what you may think, she does not just need more discipline. She gets plenty thank you very much. She is a high functioning autistic! She may look like everyone else, but she isn't. She needs support, not yelling.

And I homeschool her because it is what is best for her. She was miserable in public school. And I don't think forcing the school to keep her and not send her home when she is cowering under a table screaming and covering her ears would have been the best thing for her. Not for the school FOR HER! Being homeschooled is not going to make her have low self-esteem, being in public school was pummeling her self-esteem. She was scared of the police because she was convinced that they were going to come and arrest her because she was a bad girl. She was convinced that Santa would never come because to the depths of her soul, she was certain she was a bad girl. When asked to describe herself. she said she was weird and bad. That was all she thought she was. She got so low, she WANTED TO DIE!!!! I am working to repair the damage that public school did to my daughter, so don't you dare tell me that it would be better for her. I KNOW HER and I would rather walk over hot coals barefoot slowly than put her back there.

Don't tell me what is best for my girl. Trust me, you are not my role models in how to raise children. I have seen homeschooled teenagers, if my girl turns out like any of them, I would only be proud.

My girl is SPECIAL, UNIQUE, WONDERFUL and a HANDFUL, and I do NOT require your input on how to raise her!

Signed a frustrated MAMA BEAR

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh...my heart just broke, thinking about what public school must have been like for your little girl. Thank goodness she has someone like you for a mother, someone able to advocate for her, someone able to understand her needs. Several of my friends are parents of amazing children who fall in various places on the autistic spectrum, and the stories they've shared with me, of the looks they get while out in public with their children, the parenting "advice" freely given by perfect strangers...it's not an easy journey, by any means. She's so very lucky to have you, and your Mama Bear instincts!

Catherine said...

Ugh. Unwanted parenting advice can be really distressing. It sounds like it's well beyond that in your case. Stand firm in the knowledge that you know your children and you have their best interests at heart. Love your girls - that's the most important gift you are giving them every single day!

Julie Coney said...

you go girl! Keep on loving and nurturing your precious gift. You are supported by those of us who have also made the choice to stay home and teach our kids. What is hard now will be rewarded later. My highschoolers are a joy! and a believe it is because of where they are grounded... HOME! Hug Princess Belle extra tight!

Beverly said...

You get 'em Mama Bear!

Julie said...

Uhg! I hate it when people think they could raise your kids better than you. *sigh*

Stand firm! You are doing the right thing!

Oh, and I've homeschooled my kids from day 1, and they are all wonderfully well behaved. If homeschooling them helped that, then YAY! Trust me, it has not hurt them one bit, and not one of them want to go to public school!

http://scrapgrrl.com

Twitter