May 16, 2010

Back home

We are back home after a wonderful weekend. It was lovely to visit with my best friend. She and her boyfriend were great, providing me with a place to stay, food to eat and transportation as needed. I am lucky to have them in my life.

The homeschool convention was fun. I loved meeting so many homeschoolers, making the contacts and getting so much information. I am definitely going to go again next year and next year I will bring Princess Belle so she can meet other homeschooling kids. I even met someone with a ASD son like Princess Belle who homeschools.

I picked up Math-U-See for Princess Belle's math and we are going to start on that right away. I am starting one level lower than other kids her age would probably be, but I just don't think she has double digit addition and subtraction down yet. This curriculum doesn't have grade levels, you just move from one level to the next at your own pace. The good thing is, that this curriculum is very visual and hands on which is good for her.

One thing I learned was that I need to relax. I need to not stress about getting this just right, it will be okay. It is like you have a jar and some rocks and some sand. If you fill your jar with the sand (all those little homeschooling things that you want to get done, you won't have enough room when you try to fit the bigger rocks (the bigger, core homeschooling things that need to be done). So instead, put the rocks in the jar first and then pour the sand in around it (concentrate on the core things and then when they are done, fill in with the rest as you are able to). It will all come out fine in the end.

I also learned that kids have a thirst for knowledge and that the best thing you can teach your child is how to learn. Teach you child how to find things out, how to find the answers to questions that she may have. Because then as she gets older, she will be able to enjoy researching and finding answers and learning for herself. Learning will be a lifelong journey.

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

It was so nice to meet you and your little treasure. I'm glad you enjoyed the conference.

Cathy said...

Great meeting you, Nicole. So glad you enjoyed the conference and learned not to be so stressed out over homeschooling. It will all come into place. Just be diligent and patient.

Julie said...

Glad you had fun at the conference! I've never been to a homeschool conference, but it sure sounds like fun and very imformative!

http://scrapgrrl.com/

Twitter