Nov 30, 2007

30 Day Challenge -- The small spaces


This month, I joined the 30 day Organizing Challenge! It was a lot of work, but it was a lot of fun for me too.

I started out going to organize my bedroom. But as I got started, I realized that while I was working, a LOT of my house had gotten disorganized. I had lots of ideas on ways to improve things.

I also organized my hall closet. I had been trying to find a way to organize things so that they stayed neat and tidy. Then I remember reading about how my favorite organizing junkie uses a dresser in her closet. I figured right now, with my organizing everything, this would be the perfect time to empty out a dresser and put in there to keep things tidy. I have to say it has kept my closet looking great!:

BEFORE




AFTER







My Linen Closet: I did a few things with my linen closet. One thing I found when I was going through it was that there was a lot of old clothes that belonged to Princess that somehow ended up in there. I purged all of that. This clothes was piled up on old bags and empty suitcases. I took the bags and suitcases and filled them up with things I don't use that much like old fabric samples.

There were also some narrow shelves which I didn't get a good picture of before that were basically empty because I couldn't figure out what do with them. This time I though it through. The top one, I put bathroom cleaners and extra shampoos and soaps. The second one which was on the same shelf as the sheets was piled with extra pillow cases. the third one which was on the same shelf as my extra not as nice towels, was piled my extra not as nice face clothes.

BEFORE



AFTER




1. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and were you able to overcome it?

I gues my biggest challenge was whether or not I bit off more than I could chew. I ended up doing ever room in my house and all the closets too. That is a lot.

2. Tell us what kind of changes/habits you have put into place in order for your area/room to maintain its new order?

Princess has to ask to get things off of the top shelves in her room and has to help clean up. I am more on top of things. I try to be sure and put all the little things where they go every day when I am cleaning up.

3. What did you do with the “stuff” you were able to purge out of your newly organized space?

I am calling the Canadian Cancer Society to come pick it up. Mostly it is clothes and they can use that.
4. Now that you have completed the challenge, do you think having and keeping your space organized will make a difference in your life?

I absolutely do think it will make a difference. It is so much more relaxing for me to live in a neat and organized home.

6. Why do you think you should win the challenge?

Because I truly took this challenge to heart. I took it as a challenge to organize not just one room buy my whole house. I am so proud of how amazing the whole place looks and considering that I ended up not having any money to buy more containers, I am proud of how my improvisations improved my use of space.

9 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

You did awesome with this challenge - and took it to heart - everything you did looks fantastic!

Great job!

Anonymous said...

Great Job!!

Anonymous said...

WOW...you outdid yourself on ths challenge. Looks terrific. :)

Dawn said...

It all looks really good. You did a lot of work.

Forgetfulone said...

Wow! Looks great. I bet it feels great, too.

Ter said...

Looks great!!

I, too, struggled with wanting to do the whole house at once, but I kind of forced myself to focus on just one space (my basement) because I know that in time, by decluttering my basement, the rest of my house will follow suit because I created storage in the basement.

Good luck!

Gretchen said...

Both closets look GREAT! You definitely did a LOT of work this month... and it looks like you have a much more comfortable living space because of it. Great job! :)

Alyson and Ford said...

Good job! It was a tough challenge but so worth it! Congrats!!

Alyson
LID 01/27/06

Jennifer B said...

I had the same problem! The rest of my house seemed to implode as soon as I posted on Nov. 1.
I love the shoes in the drawer idea, very clever.

Twitter