Sep 18, 2006

Coughland Blues

My poor Little Princess has had a cold. Last night, she was up coughing half the night. I felt so bad for her and I kept giving her medication and comforting her. I figured that when she got up this morning, she would be grouchy and sick and I would keep her home. But this morning she was fine. She was up before I was and she hasn't coughed once. So, I sent her off to Preschool. I am heading out the gym and then coming home to do a really good cleaning of my house. I told Prince Charming I am going to do the kind of cleaning that you do when company is coming. I will have my shining like the top of the Chrysler Building! (Did you get that movie reference?)

When do you decide to take your little one to a doctor about a cold? Do you take them every time? Do you take them when it is persistent? Do you take them when it starts to sound bad? Do you take them when they keep getting them? She seems fine today no coughing at all, but I was wondering about taking her in. I know that starting preschool means that she will be getting more colds and she has been getting them consistently since she started. Should I be concerned? Would you be?


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I def recognize that line...it's from Annie!!! I love that movie!

Btw, I only take my son to the doctor when he has a very high fever that won't go away...and that's after I call the office to see if it's even a big deal. Sometimes just talking to a nurse puts me at ease.

Anonymous said...

It depends on which kid. DS1 I take when he gets bad or it gets persistant. DS3 gets a trip when he gets a fever or can't breathe (since he has asthma). Sometimes I just "know" when to take them.

Anonymous said...

annie.....
as for sicko's, its when nothing else works

Anonymous said...

I'm not one to take my kids or even call my doctor unless it's really serious. Yes, Little Princess will probably get sick a lot more often now but I've been told that it helps her build her immune system. Hope she's feeling better!

Anonymous said...

If they have a temp. higher than 103F I take them, or if the cold lasts more than a school week. My oldest was coughing, and I'd keep an eye on Princess, that's when we found out about her asthma, but if her coughing has stopped, that's all it probably is, with asthma it never stops.
I've found out too, I just call the doctor's office and get their opinion.

Anonymous said...

Poor thing. I'm glad she felt better this morning though :)

Anonymous said...

I have four kids under the age of nine and I am a registered nurse. I take them to the doctor if they spike a temperature, if their snot turns fluro color (can't say it any nicer than that, lol) and if their cold has hung around for more than 6 days straight (could have turned into an ear infection or sinus infection by then, better to be safe than sorry)
When I take them to swim practise, the rule of thumb is that they are ok to swim, so long as they have clear snot. Because, if we did not take them every single time they had a runny nose, they would never ever go!
If the cough is shallow yet persistent, it could be a case of asthma, easily remedied with a puffer before bed time. The cooler part of the night can set asthma off. So, listen to your mummy instinct, if you think it warrants a doctor visit, go there love :) Better to be safe than sorry.

Anonymous said...

I would get it checked out.. I think she may allegries on top of always getting a cold.

Anonymous said...

She looks so peaceful - and so sweet.

I hope she is feeling better soon. We don't go to the doc unless we have a persistent fever - or a productive cough and stuffy nose.

Twitter