Jul 11, 2006

Would you like to come out and play with me?


Inspired by the blog of a friend, I got to thinking. How do you make friends as a grownup? In the past, I really didn't. I relied on some power of fate to make people come to me. Which was pretty hard since I never went anywhere and fate would have had to led them to knock on my door and ask me to come out to play like when I was a child. I don't see that happening, somehow, do you?

Since I moved here, I use my daughter shamelessly. I feel as though, if I just started talking to someone on my street with no reason, they would think I was strange, or worse yet some kind of a psycho stalker type chick. So, I break the ice by talking about my little princess. I can talk to neighbours on the street when she runs into their yard, or as they are watching their kids. I can talk to strangers on the bus when they smile at her singing out loud on the ride. I am lucky I guess that she is so outgoing and carefree, it opens doors past my reserves. I joined a playgroup to take her too and that has opened doors too.

I do sometimes feel that pull to draw back into my shell, to cozy up in my house and talk to my online friends and let the world come to me, but I remember that it passes me by instead and I really do need people. When I am really stressed out, I need to be able to talk to my friend and say, you know what this sucks. And when I leave, it still sucks but I don't feel alone and I am better able to face it.

So how about you? Do you make friends as a grownup? How do you do it?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got me thinking...since I quit my job two years ago I haven't really made any new "real life" friends. I've made quite a few blog friends, though. Really good question today TC!

Anonymous said...

Good thing we have Internet, that's how I get most of my friends...

but your way is cute too.

Anonymous said...

Love your banner. Sooo cool! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Take Care! Beth

Anonymous said...

It sounds as if you are doing all the right things. I think its fine to use your daughter as an "ice breaker." She is precious after all, so she is the perfect conversation starter!

Anonymous said...

I don't make friends easily.
You have to inspire me in some way for me to even approach you.

I'm too isolated.
I don't have enough friends and when my friends are busy and don't have time for me, I take it too personally. Silly. I know. But it happens anyway.

I try to be more open, but I'm really, really tired of getting hurt.

The Pup.

Anonymous said...

i think it's hard, because of the lack of time you have to devote to friends. when you have kids, the parents of your kids friends become your friends. i think that's the most natural kind of friendships that occur as we age.

Twitter